Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Steak Lover's Steak

Its Saturday and my wife and I have been invited over to her mother's place for some lobster and steak, good ol' Surf 'n' Turf. When ever I am over for steaks I am tasked with grilling them up. They have a nice stainless steel Duncane and I have been over enough times to have developed a good rapport with it. This time I have been given free reign to grill them my way... the result was rave reviews. Here is my secret steak treatment revielled.

This is the recipe for the best BBQ'd steaks you will ever grill, that is if you don't like slathering them in BBQ sauce. This is a simple and easy treatment for your steak that will enhance the beefy goodness of a nice cut. I am a fan of strip loins and rib-eyes. The thicker, the better. I always look for something that is well marbled, it may not be the leanest cut but it will be juicy and full of flavor.

You will need...

Some Tasty Steaks
Sea Salt
Pepper
Minced Garlic
Worcestershire Sauce
Some Fine Whiskey (Jack Daniel's works best or even Scotch)

First things first, rub the salt, pepper and garlic into the steaks then splash on some W. Sauce and the Jack on both sides and let it sit for an hour or two. The Jack Daniel's in a nice added touch, the flavors added are subtle and smoky and sure sounds impressive when your dinner guests ask you what your secret is. Grill to desired wellness, I am a fan of the ceremonial walking of the steak by the grill, in other words I like it rare. If you want to spice it up you can spread a little Chipotle butter on the steaks just before serving. You can find the recipe here.

I am a fan of presentation and consider grilling to be a form of fine art. To get those quintessential grill marks you can grease the hot grill with either bacon or you can get fatty trimmings from your local butcher. With a set of tongs just rub them over the grill and voila!

My next adventure will be the Classic BBQ Ribs but I'll need some time to write that one out. Look for it later this week.

Happy Grilling!
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment